Friday, December 19, 2008

Who Says That?!?!

I've heard stories from people of strangers' inappropriate/unwanted touching of the belly and strangers giving unsolicited advice or opinions.  I, luckily, haven't really experienced either... until lately.  

I had a work Christmas lunch this week, where we actually left the building (shocker!!) to get a nice lunch.  It was a good time and we did a Secret Santa gift exchange.  When we were leaving, we had to walk down a flight of stairs to get out of the restaurant.  A co-worker of mine, who I think is usually very nice, started laughing. I turned around and said "Are you laughing at me?"... fully expecting the answer to be "no."  She said "Yes, I am"  I asked  her why and she said, "Because you look funny. I mean, you're waddling down the stairs!"  I was both shocked and slightly embarrassed that she said this and just said "Screw you, Heather!! Don't you think I'm perfectly aware of how I am walking?!"  I laughed it off, but I couldn't believe the nerve she had to say that! I mean, we're NOT close by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know why she felt she could make a comment like that.  PLUS - she's a mom... you think she'd know not to say that to a pregnant woman.  Geeeez.

Then the second experience. I was in line at a store and the cashier kept looking at my belly.  When I got up to the register to pay, she asked how far along I was. I said, "6 months" with a big smile on my face.  The smile quickly faded when she said, "Oh, wow, really!? I mean, you're really sticking out there. I would have guessed 8, 8 1/2 months easily!  Is there more than one in there?!"  I was speechless.  With my face red, I said, "No, there's just one, thank you very much.  And, I don't think I'm that big."  It didn't even phase her to apologize!  

Where do people get the nerve to say things like this?!?  Ugh - I swear, trying to stay calm for the baby's sake sometimes just stinks!  I just let these roll off my shoulder as stupidity on their parts.  But, I mean, seriously!!!!  Some people just have no tact.

Ok, my vent is over - thanks for reading. :)  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

2 comments:

  1. You really do just have to laugh at it :) People are dumb! My friend Kate who just had a baby also got asked if she was having twins and someone told her face was fat. WHAT??!! I will say though that I think that strangers got the memo on just reaching out and touching the belly. I don't think that ever happened to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lauren - You're just hyper sensitive right now and it's true that some people have no tact. However...you are going to "waddle", no way to get around this one, so enjoy the ride! As for the rude/tacky people, remember to kill 'em with kindess....or simply kill them! ;0)

    ReplyDelete