Friday, July 2, 2010

Joys of Motherhood #1

Being a mom is the most rewarding job, but at times, can be extremely frustrating and hard.  There, I said it.  It's really, really hard sometimes.  Whoever coined the phrase "there's no use crying over spilled milk" clearly never had kids.  Because, there are times, when that milk cup gets slung clear across the kitchen, I find myself in tears.  What I'm about to write about inspired me to start writing my very own "Joys of Motherhood".  So.... #1 : Picky eaters and Food Throwers make for a perfect tension headache.


This is my life right now.  Every meal is a battlefield. I go into each meal with full-blown armor and a tiny bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, Brian will eat what I put in front of him.   Every parent wants the best for their children.  They want them to eat healthy so they can grow up big and strong.  That's a fantasy land people.  It doesn't quite work that way.  News flash: Toddlers don't want vegetables.  They want what they want.  And they want it now.  I've learned that if it's not chicken nuggets, cheese, yogurt, bananas (or "nanas" as Brian calls them), mac n cheese, raisins, or peanut butter & jelly, chances are good that it will end up on my kitchen floor.  At least now I know to step out of the way before it gets all over me.




Brian used to eat everything he could get his hands on. Even veggies.  I thought I was the luckiest mom to have such a good eater.  I was so proud of him. And proud of me for getting him to eat his fruits and veggies.  I would hear other moms talk about how their toddlers wouldn't eat anything.  But, not Brian - he was the perfect little eater.  For a few months, I got to live in that fantasy land I mentioned above.  Then it came to a crashing halt.  It's frustrating.  It makes you want to scream and cry.  You question everything you're doing, everything you've tried, and leaves you wondering what else you can do.  You wonder "am I failing?" You spend all that time and effort making "healthy" things for them, and trying to get them to eat something different. And it ends up everywhere but his mouth.  Kitchen floor, table, windows, cabinets, everywhere.  Truth be told, I haven't failed. Brian's just being, well, a toddler.  I've learned this is normal (as I breathe a sigh of relief).  So, I've decided  I am taking a break from "trying".  I will give Brian what I know he will eat, and pour myself a well-deserved glass of wine.  I will enjoy our dinners again in peace.  I will go to sleep knowing he has a full belly and is happy.  Maybe one day he'll get sick of chicken nuggets and politely ask for brussel sprouts.  He may even throw in a "please" and a "thank you".  Fantasy land?  A girl can dream, can't she?



2 comments:

  1. It is easier said then done, but seriously you can't stress over what he is eating. You are feeding him and that's what's important. You also are not encouraging cookie, cupcakes...etc. It's not like you are stuffing sweets down his face. All you can do is keep trying and he will eat what he wants. Also he is so active and his metabolism is young! I think we get caught up in thinking their bodies our like ours because at our Age we do need to healthy! When he gets older you can instill healthy food choices but for now let him be kid. What were you eating as youngster? I assure you it was not green beans :) and you turned out to be a healthy adult :). HA HA I also have to laugh because I told you the eat everything including all veggies would not last! HEE HEE. Welcome to Toddlerhood Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and also the "Please" and "Thank you's" will come soon :). Grady melts my heart every time he says them. Once he starts really talking the words will just keep coming and it's so much fun and oh so adorable! You will be laughing a lot and you will think he is just the smartest kid ever. They are all smart to me :) Yes the toddler fits and behavior will send you over the edge ALOT but the good moments will balance it out :)

    ReplyDelete